.   Indoor Air Quality Education

.   How IAQ affects us



Indoor Air Quality Education

Why are air purifiers needed?

Because of increasing energy costs, Americans today are sealing their homes and buildings with better windows, insulation, and moldings. When homes and other buildings are sealed, contaminants can build up, such as mold. As air passes through the home, the mold - along with chemicals given off by paints, cleaners, glues, particle board furniture, pesticides, and of course, cigarette smoke - is picked up and circulated throughout the structure without ever being "cleaned. "

According to the World Health Organization, 40% of all buildings are a serious hazard to our health because of their polluted air.

Symptoms caused by indoor air pollutants can include:

.   Eye and skin irritation

.   Lung irritation

.   Nose and throat discomfort

.   Fatigue

.   Unpleasantness from offensive odors

Did you know?

U.S. EPA studies indicate that indoor levels of air pollutants may be 2-5 times higher than outdoor levels.

Indoor pollutant levels can reach 100 times that of outdoor levels when we effectively "seal" our houses even tighter from the elements during winter months.

High levels of indoor air pollutants may be of particular concern because most people spend up to 90% of their time indoor

What's the solution? Air Oasis™ air purifiers safely and effectively kill bacteria, mold, viruses, neutralize VOC, odors and many other contaminants.

The Air Oasis™ air purifiers use patent pending technology to effectively reduce indoor air pollution. Indoor air pollutants fall into three categories:


Description: http://www.vee-veco.com/images/edu-1.jpgParticulates 

Term used for the mixture of solid particles and liquid droplets found in the air. Over 99% of particulate matter is invisible to the naked eye and can easily infiltrate the lungs. On average, every cubic foot of untreated indoor air contains 20 million particles.

While Air Oasis™ products are not intended to combat large particulates, such as dust, they are much more effective at reducing microscopic particulates than a HEPA filter.

Description: http://www.vee-veco.com/images/edu-2.jpgMicrobes 

Includes three major types of organisms: bacteria, protozoa, and fungi/mold. Most of these contaminants rely on a humid and moist environment for growth & survival. Some molds can produce certain chemicals, such as mycotoxins and Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC).

Studies conducted at West Texas A&M University confirm that Air Oasis™ air purifiers are highly reliable at reducing microbes.

Description: http://www.vee-veco.com/images/edu-3.jpgGases & Odors 

Indoor gases, such as benzene, formaldehyde, and hydrogen sulfide, are released from furniture, carpets, hair sprays, cleaning chemicals, insulation, and pesticides. Gases include VOC which evaporate into the air easily. Odors are often made up of VOC or other gases.

Studies conducted at West Texas A&M University confirm that Air Oasis™ air purifiers are highly reliable at reducing VOC and odors.


Millions of people suffer from allergies. Are you one of them?

Most people tend to think that dander or pollen are the only culprits. Did you know that allergies may stem from allergies to molds, VOC, particles in smoke or you many simply have a sinus infection caused by bacteria? Below is an abbreviated list of possible indoor air pollutants that can cause you irritation. With the exception of dust, Air Oasis™ air purifiers can help you combat the pollutants below. If dust is your main concern, then try using Air Oasis™ air purifiers in combination with a HEPA filter for the dust and you will have the cleanest air possible.






 Humans, drapes, outdoor air



 Clothing, outdoor air, pets


 Tobacco Smoke,    Hydrocarbons




 Humans, pets


 Mold Spores

 HVAC ducts, carpets, outdoor air



 Waste containers, toilets, humans, A/C  coils & ducts



 Pets, foods, outdoor air, waste containers


 Methyl mercaptan

 Plastics, natural gas and propane  additive


 Carbon disulfide



 Butyl acetate

 Lacquer, industrial chemicals


 Methyl mthacrylate












 Hydrogen sulfide

 Toilet vents, water

How IAQ affects us

Short-term and treatable Immediate effects after exposure to high concentrations of indoor air pollutants:

.   Sore throat

.   Headache

.   Eyes irritation

.   Nose irritation

.   Dizziness

.   Fatigue    

Symptoms of some diseases

.   Asthma

.   Hypersensitivity pneumonitis

.   Humidifier fever    

Chronic effects may show up only years after exposure has occurred or after long or repeated periods of exposure

.   Respiratory diseases

.   Heart disease

.   Cancer


Sick Building Syndrome

.   Is used to describe situations in which building occupants experience acute health and comfort effects. that appear to be linked to time spent in a building, but no specific illness or cause can be identified.

.   Building occupants complain of symptoms associated with acute discomfort, e.g., headache, eye, nose, or throat irritation, dry cough, dry or itchy skin, dizziness and nausea, difficulty in concentrating, fatigue, and sensitivity to odors.

.   The cause of the symptoms is not known and most of the complainants report relief soon after leaving the building.

Building Related Illnesses

.   Attributed to specific or well established causes associated with indoor air pollutants in buildings.

.   Allergic reactions such as hypersensitivity pneumonitis caused by certain species of fungi, and

.   Infectious diseases such as Legionnaires' disease and humidifier fever.


Carbon dioxide (CO2)

from people, pets, and plants;

.   Living things breathe out carbon dioxide.

.   A high level of carbon dioxide in the indoor means there is an inadequate supply of fresh air.

This is usually caused by:

.   Improper partitioning and overcrowding;

.   Infrequent window opening; or

.   Improper maintenance or operation of the ventilation system.

.   It will make you feel sleepy, and provide a warning for possible build-up of other indoor air pollutants.

Biological contaminants

from people, pets, and plants, include bacteria, fungi and microscopic allergens such as dust mites.

Their growth may be accelerated by:

.   Inadequate ventilation;

.   High humidity; or

.   Dirty air filter and ducting of air conditioners or ventilation systems.

They may cause sneezing, watery eyes, coughing, shortness of breath, dizziness and lethargy. Some of them may trigger allergic or asthmatic reactions


from building materials

.   Radon is a colourless and odourless radioactive gas that comes out from concrete building materials containing granite.

.   It can accumulate to a high concentration if the premises are poorly ventilated.

.   Exposure to elevated radon and its decay products may increase the incidence of lung cancer.

Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC)

from household or consumer products such as cosmetics, pesticide,etc.;

.   After dry cleaning, clothing might have residues of VOC, such as benzene, toluene and xylene.

.   These products are used for wall painting or paint stripping.

.   This may cause discomfort, and even worse, may cause cancer.

Formaldehyde (HCHO)

emissions in the indoor mainly come from furniture made of wood products

.   From pressed wood products with urea-formaldehyde as adhesive or coating materials.

.   Other sources include gas cooking, incense burning, carpeting, etc.

.   A high level of formaldehyde will irritate your eyes, nose and throat

Environmental tobacco smoke (ETS)

from smoking (Second hand smoking)

.   ETS is a mixture of the smoke given off by the burning end of a cigarette, pipe, or cigar, and the smoke exhaled by the smoker.

.   It is a complex mixture of over 4,000 chemical compounds.

.   ETS is a strong irritant and a known cancer causing agent. It causes eye, nose, and throat irritation and may significantly increase the risk of lung cancer and other respiratory illnesses.

Ozone (O3)

can be produced by equipment that utilises ultra-violet light or causes ionisation of air.

.   This includes photocopiers, laser printers and ionisers.

.   Ozone is highly reactive and could cause serious damage to the lung if inhaled in high concentrations.

.   It also irritates the eyes and respiratory tract.

.   However, because it is so reactive, it is only found in substantial concentrations near the source, and generally does not tend to accumulate in the indoor environment.